"Secret Treasure of Mile End" - Groll Street

I am yet to figure out my favourite street at Montreal. It is a difficult problem. And I think, I won't succeed in my attempt. Because there are too many options. The flavours of each street in Montreal changes with time (dawn or dusk), season (summer or fall), buildings around (churches or shops) or just on the mood of the person walking on the street. Talking about streets, I am a regular visitor of Mile-End District. The reason is quite simple. I drive there to grab my cup of coffee before the sun rises, or, simply to explore the landscape. One day, I was driving on Waverly Street (Rue Waverly) and was interrupted by a stop sign from nowhere and a signage called Groll Street (Rue Groll) - a significant street largely forgotten by many. That intersection grabbed my attention for good reasons and called for a second visit.




Groll Street - Waverly Intersection



Groll street resides at the core of my heart, named after Joseph-Arthur Groll, a businessman who bought a house in the vicinity. Groll is a tiny street connecting Jean Mance with Saint Urbain at Mile-End neighbourhood. Google Maps designate this street by a green line intersected by Esplanade Avenue and Waverly. This street has a dual historic identity. First, the street once served as part of a stream which descended from the Mount Royal to an area that now occupies the Outremont Park. This narrow street is marked by beautiful buildings on two sides and a treat to pedestrians. Yes, I mean pedestrians only unless you encounter a bike here and there. But once, this street was open to vehicles but things changed after a child was injured in 1984. Automobiles were discontinued thereafter. Over years the street underwent a significant change in its landscape, got greener and probably narrower.



Groll Street (View from the Waverly Side)


If you are in Montreal, try to visit this little street and take a short walk. You may discover a lot of things in its silence and beauty.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is Mirra Alfassa?

Sidewalk Surprises: Waverly Street

23 Scott Lane, Kolkata