Sidewalk Surprises: Waverly Street

Montreal is a city of surprises. It never fails to surprise me when I am on a leisurely saunter. This time it was the Mile-End District on a very hot afternoon.

If you already know about the Mile-end area, you may have walked on Waverly (aka Waverly Street). One cannot really ignore this green corridor and the beautiful houses on both sides of the street occupied by Jewish residents spanning many generations. While walking here, I noticed some books on the sidewalk lying unnoticed in an organized manner. The books ranged from architecture to poem collections - both in English and French. I looked around to assure whether there is a price tag attached to the books. There was none. I wanted to pick up something on Montreal architecture but two other books caught my attention. 


The Books on the Sidewalk

Quite happily, I returned home with couple of them:

1. "Lenin and the Russian Revolution" by Christopher Hill, written exclusively for the general public and, 

2. "The Years" - Virginia Woolf's acclaimed novel and a powerful account of "Victorianism" covering a period from 1880 to 1930.

So, keep your eyes open while walking on the streets. You might surprise yourself as well.


My Freebies



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Yes. A very common sight as some of the Montreal neighbourhoods.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who is Mirra Alfassa?

23 Scott Lane, Kolkata